market14

market11

market13

market01 copy

market07

market10

market04

market05

Union Square Market
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 17TH 2009
AREA MAP

Since moving to NYC I have had a growing interest in gardening. Back home, my mom had a large, thriving garden full of herbs and vegetables, and I took for granted the delicious addition of fresh herbs to our meals. I came to NYC armed with two books to prepare me for "apartment gardening": Your Backyard Herb Garden and Garden Anywhere.

The Union Square Greenmarket is one of the best sources in NYC for herbs, from freshly sprouted seedlings to well-established mature plants. Last week I snagged a lemon basil plant which, although tasty, was more potent than I expected. This week I purchased sweet basil (shown above, with other varieties) and peppermint. The plants are still immature and require replanting, but within a week the mint will be ready for picking and the basil will closely follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment